Darien High School Class of 1987

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Beth Morton survived the event of our lifetime

What a treat to see so many familiar faces telling their stories! One of the more significant events in my life since DHS was on September 11, 2001, where I found myself among thousands of others crammed into smoke-filled stairs in a desperate effort to evacuate One World Trade Center. You can read that story here: http://www.wheatoncollege.edu/quarterly/Q2001Winter

I consider myself to be extremely lucky since that day and am still counting my blessings, with the one exception of that former child star I was married to for a while. But I digress. Life is good, really good.

[Note from Andy -- Beth now that you've spilled the beans you have to tell us which child star you married -- otherwise we'll all be imagining Gary Coleman or Ricky Schroeder or something!!]

After graduating from DHS I went to Wheaton College in Norton, MA, which, thankfully, went coed my sophomore year! Amy Waters Youkilis, Tricia Waters Campbell ’86, Amy Dunn and Kirsten Stommel, whom some of you know through Tokeneke School, experienced this coed transition as well. Quite the dissimilarity from when my great grandmother attended in the early 1900’s, when Wheaton was a seminary.

I interned with various public relations firms throughout my Wheaton years, and then became a Business Analyst for Dun & Bradstreet after graduating with a degree in American Studies. Hop-scotched along to various employs at financial service firms after that, with Merrill Lynch, Lehman Brothers and most recently as a Director at Standard & Poor’s here in New York.
Some of my current philanthropic activities include serving a second term as Wheaton Alumni Class President and actively participating in various Junior League projects here in Manhattan.

Within the past month I have bumped into Tricia Waters Campbell ’86 and Lord Morgan ’88 at Equinox Gym in Darien, and Tim Nee ’86 and his wife Dara (Pisani) at Chef’s Table in Westport. All are doing well, Tim and Dara with their first child on the way. Last week, Darrin Lamorte ’88 randomly stopped me on Metro North to say hello. He is an artist. My parents still live in Darien. Sister Sara ’90 is in advertising in Los Angeles and Jennie ’93 will complete her law degree at Fordham in June.

I am looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible at reunion.

PS – If anyone needs a copy of the Cook’s Corner Cheer Sheet, I still have one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home